We find and destroy landmines and unexploded bombs in places affected by conflict. Since 1989 we have helped over 20 million people in 70 countries rebuild their lives and livelihoods after war.
- A gift from you today of £5 could clear 6sqm of land in Laos that has been contaminated for over 50 years.
- A gift from you today of £10 could pay for a family pack of posters, leaflets and games, to teach a family how to stay safe around landmines and explosives.
- A gift from you today of £20 could support two skilled deminers clearing land in Cambodia for one day.
What do we do
Landmines and unexploded bombs can remain in the ground for decades after a conflict has ended. Every day, 15 people are killed or injured by these indiscriminate weapons. Half of civilian casualties are children.
MAG finds and clears landmines, cluster munitions, and unexploded bombs and returns safe land to communities, enabling them to build a safer and more sustainable future.
How we do it
We use manual deminers, machinery and mine detection animals. We choose our approach according to several factors including terrain, vegetation, and the level and type of contamination.
- This is careful and painstaking work. Manual demining involves checking minefields metre by metre using metal detectors and a variety of excavation tools.
- Demining machinery helps us work faster and more effectively in certain circumstances. Our fleet of specialised armoured machines prepares ground for clearance, removing vegetation and obstacles, and in some cases finding and destroying landmines directly.
- Our mine detection dogs and rats are trained to “sniff out” explosives and alert their handler, making them a valuable part of our mine clearance toolbox.
Who we are
Our community liaison staff are the eyes and ears of MAG. They work with local communities to understand where landmines and unexploded bombs are located and how their presence affects people’s lives, work and play. Working in this way helps us to make sure that we target and clear the areas of greatest need.
We recruit and train men and women from local communities. This gives people affected by landmines the opportunity to clear them, as well as financially support their own families and communities.
I love my job. We allow people to come home. My family and community are very proud of me. Thank you MAG for this great opportunity to save my people.
Our results in 2022
Landmines and unexploded bombs destroyed
Land cleared by deminers, dogs and machines
People benefitting from our work