Country Director – Syria response, based in Amman, Jordan
The total package for this position is £65,196 per annum (c. USD $87,000) including salary and all allowances.
About the Syria Response programme
MAG has been responding to the Syria crisis since 2013 working to support and protect conflict affected communities from explosive remnants of war, so that people can restore and pursue their livelihoods in a safe and secure environment, free from fear of death or injury.
About the role
MAG is recruiting a Country Director to lead our Syria response programme. After a period of rapid expansion over the last two years, this is an exciting time to join the MAG team, leading programme activities and working with partner organisations in a rapidly changing context. Reporting to the Regional Director, you will be responsible for the effective integration of strategic, programmatic and operational management and the development of new business, in compliance with contractual obligations and MAG’s mission and mandate. You will have a wide variety of strategic responsibilities including contract management, donor liaison, business development, people management, security management, capacity building and risk management. The base location for this position will be Amman, with regular travel around the Middle East region as part of the Syria response hubs for NGO’s and UN Agencies.
Previous experience in the mine action sector is not essential however you will need extensive experience working overseas at a senior management level managing large scale programmes. This should include extensive experience of managing a multi-million and multi-funded projects, with experience developing new business and representation to the highest levels. The successful candidate will also need experience leading programmes in volatile security environments, ideally in the Middle East with experience monitoring and analysing security information, assessing threats, managing critical incidents and the development of security procedures. You will also need excellent people management skills and the ability to manage support functions including HR, administration, logistics and finance. Finally, the successful candidate will have demonstrable experience of working in complex political and volatile security contexts and the tact, diplomacy and tenacity needed to lead this rapidly expanding programme.
MAG staff are rewarded with generous benefits:
- Salary: The total package for this position starts at is £65,196 per annum (c. USD $87,000) and increases with service. Please see the general information in the candidate pack for full terms and conditions related to this.
- Accommodation: MAG will provide accommodation in-country.
- Leave: We recognise our staff work hard and need the appropriate time out to stay motivated. You'll have a minimum of six weeks out of the programme per year, rising to eight with service.
- Flights: MAG provides three international flights home per year.
- Insurance: All international staff are automatically covered by MAG's comprehensive insurance package including: Personal accident and medical expenses insurance; Death by natural causes insurance and access to 24-hour medical assistance including evacuation and repatriation.
How to apply
For further information about this opportunity, as well as the application form, please download the candidate information pack, below:
Please return a completed application form to email@example.com by the closing date of 6th January 2019.
Due to the high volume of applications that we receive, we are not able to respond to every application. If you have not heard back from us within 3 weeks of the closing date, it means that your application has not been successful.